Mac Messages, previously called iChat, allows remote management of a Mac. These instructions were written for Messages. The steps for iChat may be slightly different.
1. Open Messages.
2. From the Messages menu, choose Add Account…
3. In the Add Account dialog, click “Other messages account…” and then the Continue button.
4. In the Add a Messages Account dialog, use the following settings and then click the Create button.
- Account Type: AIM
- Username: Enter your AIM/AOL username. This is often your email address. Or create an AIM account.
- Password: The password for the username.
5. After you are logged in, make sure that Messages is available by choosing Available from the My Status menu item under the Messages menu.
Start Screen Sharing
Once your computer is Available, your screen buddy (usually Will) will send a request to share the computer’s screen.
Messages will display a window asking you to confirm the request and will ring a chime. If you do not see the window, from the Window menu, choose Screen Sharing.
The screen sharing dialog:
Click the Accept button and your buddy can now see and control your computer.